What to see in Corcubión

Corcubion, land of calm and bravery

Cultural Heritage

Fountain in Plaza de Castelao

Ethnological heritage

The first documentary references about the fountain in the square date from the 10th of June 1857, when Francisco López Recamán presented the plan to build a new house in the area of the fountain. It represented a great interest subject to the corporation and the residents since it is the only public fountain in the town that, due to its abundance and superior quality, is frequented day and night, as it was stated in the fountain translation file in 1857.

When the residents were called to examine the current location of the fountain, the majority agreed on the convenience of carrying out this work, so the town council unanimously agreed on the 15th of June 1857 to move the pipe and the village fountain.

In 1891, in view of the decrease of the fountain flow, some small repairs were necessary, in terms of reconstructing its catch basin with a more solid masonry, changing the water-conducting pipe for a galvanised iron one and inserting it with its stone drainage system, and that a sheet of galvanised iron was plated in the water outlet hole in the form of a watering can.

In 1906 a request was made to the Provincial Council for a subsidy to repair the village's public fountain and to build three more in the areas of Quenxe, Redonda and Oliveira. The subsidy was granted the following year to carry out the works, following the project of the engineer Juan Francisco Yánez.

After a series of negative auctions, the master stonemason Carlos Cobas took charge of the work consisting of repairing the intake box, renovating the pipes of the fountain in the square and building a new drinking trough, although the latter was finally removed as it would not satisfy any needs and could end up being a source of infection if used for other purposes, such as washing clothes or fish, for example.